BREAKING NEWS

Thursday 19 February 2009

In the New Century I think We Will All Be Insane

As I'm sure I've previously mentioned on this blog over the years, I adore Tony Kushner's Angels in America. 'Brilliant' just doesn't do it justice but I was inspired to think of it once more earlier this evening during when I decided t carry on down market Street for a wander whilst others shopped. As I headed towards the city hall and went through a slightly seedier and for more engaging part of the city, I encountered not one or two but several men and women who were more than likely homeless and in all cases talking to themselves, shouting what might be called obscenities and generally being like someone society might call a 'crazy'. As I continued along, I passed a woman who stank of weed and who was singing and waving her arms to a portable CD player she was carrying. She caused those in front to pick up pace including a camp young man who joined the young woman all ready in front of me. They exchanged pleasantries and joked they were both fleeing from the "crazy" woman behind them . The guy remarked that he had just had a "blow job" from down the road (BlowBuddies and a few other similar sex club style joints were close by) and the girl said "oh I've just been shopping" as a perfectly normal exchange between strangers. Fabulous, and not something you often overhear in Sunderland or Newcastle.

As I continued further along another guy came towards me wildly waving his arms about and walking about in n erratic manner He was screaming "I'm gonna pop that nigger" and a range of other things. Another "crazy", no as I soon realised a guy talking into his hands free mobile.

In Angels in America, towards the end of a conversation between Thompson (playing a "crazy" homeless woman) and Streep (playing the Mormon mom of another character coming to terms with his sexuality) Thompson's character remarks: "In the new century, I think we will all be insane". As I walked down Market Street tonight, I found myself in a postmodern thought process- are we already insane and what is 'sanity' in our society. Why is one form of public shouting and someone we can not see or hear acceptable and it unacceptable, even fear inspiring, in others.

Tomorrow we are all visiting the University of San Francisco and I'll let you all know how that goes.

Share this:

Anonymous said...

If you keep posting at this rate Chris (and with such fabulous little stories dispersing the wider narrative) you will be able to put together quite a good novel! (Indeed you write it in that style!) Or even adapt it down to make a Travel Guide.

San Fran sounds brilliant though, wish I was there! I will now be checking out the photos

 
Copyright © 2014 Law and Sexuality. Designed by OddThemes | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates