BREAKING NEWS

Wednesday 25 February 2009

San Francisco Reflections (1)

I was lucky enought to be joined on the SF field trip by my colleague, Nicola Wake. This is her reflection on the trip:

Preparing to go!

When Chris asked me whether I would like to go to San Francisco five days before it was time to fly I was beside myself with excitement. I had so much to do and so little time to do it but I thought to myself (as did Chris) as long as I have my tickets, money and passport I will get there. Although I was not so sure, given that I would be travelling there alone and meeting Chris and the rest of the gang at the Marriot hotel at Fisherman’s Wharf. No doubt people had a good laugh at me as I walked around giggling to myself about Chris’ texts; students turning up one minute before the check in desk closed and Rob forgetting his passport. Well there is always one or two! The problem was I could have made three when I fell asleep in Seattle airport only to hear that I was at the wrong gate. Fortunately I had a couple of hours to spare so it was not an issue, but note to oneself: when you are travelling alone sleeping in the airport is not the best idea!

The journey

My journey commenced with my taxi trip to the airport. Gordon was my taxi driver and he was undoubtedly the nicest taxi driver I have ever met. He had been working since 3am, picking students up from the glass spider no less. (Well it is reading week so they are entitled to a night out-LOLl!). Gordon told me how well behaved the students from Sunderland are and it made me smile when he said that Sunderland is recognised as the best in the country for law; it shows that our reputation is spreading and the students are doing a lot to help that. He was also quite passionate about what the University is doing for the City in relation to encouraging people to visit the North East.

All in all the travelling to San Francisco was not as problematic as I thought it would be especially given that I had connecting flights in both Amsterdam and Seattle. I will admit that I had to run through Amsterdam airport to catch the flight as there was less than an hour between flights and Amsterdam is quite a big airport. Not surprisingly, I got the usual questions when I reached the gate “business or pleasure?” Well my trip fit into both categories really, so the customs official asked “What are you going for?” I then specified that I was a lecturer, travelling to meet a colleague and students to show them around San Francisco. No prizes for guessing the next statement “...but you’re not old enough to be a lecturer!” Uh oh was this me stuck in Amsterdam-thankfully not, he gave me the benefit of the doubt although I am still not sure if he believes me!

Anyway I was pleased when I managed to make it onto the plane to Seattle because I knew at that point that I was going to make it to America. (Hopefully they wouldn’t turn me away at the border). So about an hour into the flight and a meal later out of the corner of my eye I can see a bag (Surprise surprise!) but this was not any bag, this bag was moving by itself. I mean there was something wriggling in it-oh God what was I sitting next to? Then my head began to have an internal battle. My conscience said, ‘stop staring at that woman’s bag...it’s rude!’ but my curiosity got the better of me “what is in the bag?” I think I stared at the bag for about an hour before a puppy started yapping-how bizarre?

San Francisco-Day 1

The majority of us visited Alcatraz on the first day. The sun was shining and we had a thoroughly enjoyable and informative time. When we reached Alcatraz we received individual headphones for our audio tours and followed each other around the building to narrators undertaking the roles of convicts or prison wardens. Half way through the tour a man working on the Island told us what a typical day in the penitentiary would have been like for prisoners before proceeding to show us how the cell doors worked. The doors can be locked simultaneously using one lever. When we left the penitentiary we visited the gift shop and spent a while deciding what to bring back to the law department. Chris and I finally chose a sign which stated that no talking or other noises would be permitted (Well we thought it was funny! ;-P).

When we returned to Pier 39 we were informed that sea lions were nocturnal and that when the boats left the Pier the sea lions took root there on a night. Chris and I were obviously dubious about this and so we decided to embark on a sea lion hunt. When we eventually found them one of the students said ‘I wonder how many there are?’ To which a little boy replied, in the cutest American accent, ‘there are 156 sea lions!’ Again, we were cynical (LOL).

San Francisco day 2

I think that one of the things that excited me most about the trip was visiting San Francisco University. I knew that it was a once in a lifetime experience for most and to have that opportunity was unbelievable. The University visit was as good as I expected. We were warmly welcomed by Peter Novak and Brian Budds and it was great to hear their take on the Harvey Milk case. It was Peter Novak who introduced us to sister Boom Boom and the sisters of perpetual indulgence. Peter Novak read from a book that Sister Boom Boom had read in response to the acquittal of Dan White, in which Sister Boom Boom highlighted that just as the ‘Twinkie Defense’ had been used to acquit Dan White, someone who becomes depressed because of his acquittal will harm him. Sister Boom Boom said, ‘when that time comes I hope that people are just as forgiving as they were to Dan White.’ It was at that point that I decided I had to see the sisters of perpetual indulgence and poor Chris had to put up with me talking about Sister Boom Boom for the rest of the field trip. Indeed, when we wandered around the Haight neighbourhood I pointed out every image I saw that remotely resembled the sisters.

San Francisco-Day 3

On the Friday we visited the Castro. The streets were alive with colour and there was a general feeling of calm and tranquillity. We visited the GLBT Historical Society exhibition and this reinforced a lot of what Peter Novak and Brian Budds had told us the day before. To me the visit to the centre was fundamentally important as it provided an insight into the suffering that bigotry has caused over the years and still does. The articles themselves were very moving but perhaps more moving was the volunteer who came over to talk to us about the exhibition and Harvey Milk. As his voice faltered when he spoke it was clear that the pain and suffering was still raw. Our group huddled around him as he spoke and he really provided a true insight to the tragedy that occurs through prejudice. After he spoke everyone thanked him and the silence that followed was only broken by a student’s comment, ‘how great was he?’

San Francisco-day four

On our final day Chris and I decided to visit the Golden Gate Bridge. Chris and I wandered for three hours and it was a great opportunity to reflect on the trip and talk about both of our courses. The trip had given me a real insight to what Chris does on his course and it gave me some great ideas for my modules. When we reached golden gate bridge we paused for a while to look over at Alcatraz and the boats surrounding the Island. We took lots of photographs but I fear that none of them will do justice to the Bay, the bridge or the trip for that matter. Upon returning to the hotel Chris, the students and I started our airport check-in online. I desperately wanted to stay and it was evident that the feeling was mutual amongst the group. I had the best time but I couldn’t help but feel a little cheated-alas I had not seen the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence! Thankfully Chris has given me a taste on here but it is true I am still weeping inside ;-)

Share this:

 
Copyright © 2014 Law and Sexuality. Designed by OddThemes | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates